Morning Meal Planning
Every morning, I try to make sure I know what I’m making for dinner that night. I then plan mentally what time I need to do certain preps so I know what time to start dinner my family can eat before it gets too late.
Change of Plans
Tonight I was planning to make “Green Bean Sausage Mix” for dinner. When it was time to cut the sausage, I looked in our fridge and couldn’t find it…so then I moved to our other fridge and it wasn’t there either.
I was sure I had ordered it on my last Sam’s Club order, but when I went back and looked for it, it wasn’t there. Sometimes when I am putting together my order, after I log in, all of my cart will disappear and this is what happened when I was making that order. I must have forgotten to re-add the sausage.
Quick and Easy for the Win
Anyways, I realized I needed something quick and easy and that we had all of the ingredients for. I decided to make Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad. It fits the above criteria and my whole family loves it.
I think what really makes this a tasty dish is using the pre-seasoned grilled strips. I always keep a couple packs of these from Sam’s Club on hand. You can get chicken like this at any place that sells groceries, in the lunch meat section.
This salad doesn’t take long at all, but has such a delicious combination of flavors.
First, add a small amount (1 to 2 tablespoons) of olive oil to a skillet and let it heat up on medium high heat. When it is hot, add the refrigerated or frozen strips and stir. When the chicken is warmed throughout, it is done.
While your chicken is warming, you can prepare the rest of the salad. You can either use a pre-bagged mix of salad or your favorite kind of lettuce and/or spinach. Often, to make life easier, I use pre-bagged salad mixes. This is completely up to you and can be adjusted according to what you have on hand and what your time constraints are.
The great thing about salads is that they are entirely customizable. For this particular salad, we usually use cucumbers, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, canned black beans (rinsed and drained), red bell pepper cut in strips and then halved, bacon bits, and cheddar cheese.
We think it’s fun to keep a variety of salad toppings on hand such as french fried onions, croutons, and tortilla strips. It just helps to make the salad a bit more interesting and delicious.
Once you have all of your salad components together, mix them up and you are ready for a healthy, delicious dinner that is on the table in the time it takes you to chop the vegetables!
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bag Pre-cooked grilled chicken strips Any variety, fresh or frozen works well, as long as it is pre-cooked
- 1 bag Your choice of salad mix
- 2 Cucumbers
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1/3 can Black Beans Drained.
- 1/2 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salad toppings and dressing of your choice
- Warm the Grilled chicken in a frying pan over the stove until hot. Break large pieces up into bite-size portions.
- Add pre-cut salad mix (or fresh lettuce or spinach to a bowl.
- Chop tomatoes, cucumber, and bell peppers.
- Toss vegetables together.
- Add the black beans to the salad.
- You can either add the cheeses and chicken to the salad or put them on the table separately so everyone can add it to their salad according to their tastes.